Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Work in Progress, Fernandina Beach Residence, Update 1



            Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island is a beautiful little town on the Atlantic Ocean just north of Jacksonville, Florida. It has more than four hundred years of recorded history and no fewer than eight flags have flown there. It famously boasts that “the French visited, the Spanish tamed, the English named and the American tamed”
            It’s a wonderful and quaint little town with shops and restaurants, swimming, boating, wildlife and a great historic district with a treasure trove of beautiful historic homes. My wife and I stayed a bed and breakfast for our anniversary last year and walked the streets, taking a bunch of pictures of the surrounding homes. I picked out one of them for a project. This one will be a pen and ink rendering. As I said last week, I haven’t done any pen and ink in quite a few years but felt I should have some in my architectural collection. Pen and ink, as well as pen and ink with watercolor make great home portraits for homeowners as well as real estate agents who want to advertise a special home for sale and want it to stand out in a listing.
            I liked this home because of the porch, the windows and the detail under the roof. The palms also helped with the composition. This rendering will be purely pen and ink. The next home, which I haven’t picked out yet, will be pen and ink with watercolor. The rendering will be done on Canson Bristol paper, smooth side. The size is 12” by 16”. I’ll be using a rapidograph technical pen by Koh – I – Noor.
            The photo of the pencil sketch had to enhanced quite a bit, emphasizing contrast so the pencil lines can be seen. The pencil drawing is quite light and done with a 2B lead, so it may be a little hard to see. The lines have to be light so they can be erased as I progress. The other photo is of the home.
            There is a lot of detail that will go into the rendering but I’m hoping it will go quickly. We’ll see. Check back next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment