Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Work In Progress: Seven Sisters Inn, Update 4



I’m going to concentrate on the House from here on to get it completed or nearly so. I first re-drew most of the lines for the house, getting all the detail in, penciling it in lightly. Then I started painting. The colors I used were various combinations of Winsor Blue, Hookers Green and Winsor Violet for the blues of the House. Paynes grey was used for the roof. Winsor Lemon Yellow and Ochre were used for the window trim.
            The colors for the House weren’t mixed, but layed down in layers. Layers were built up until I was satisfied with the intensity and hue. For instance, the blues for the House made by alternating blue and violet. The roof was built up by layers of paynes grey. Same with the yellow trim. I also used a priming method to make sure colors were uniform. On the larger areas I would first put down two layers of water and then layer the colors in when the paper was still damp. This made for greater control and less rushing. The paper was throroughly dried between layers using a hair drier.
            For shading I first painted in the colors as usual, then put in layers of paynes grey until it was dark enough. Paynes grey was used in most of the windows unless there was sky reflection. A straight edge was used for all straight lines. A magnifying glass came in handy also. The siding and shingles were ruled in with straight edge and paynes grey. Highlights on the siding was added using titanium white.

No comments:

Post a Comment