Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Work In Progress: Seven Sisters Inn, Update 3



I decided to paint in the trees on the left first. Once in they will give some shape to the left side of the House. Other than that, I don’t know why I started there. I think I just wanted to start the trees first. The House is going to require a lot of restraint and tight work – a steady attention to detail - whereas the trees can be more loose. On the other hand, the House would be more orderly, methodical and systematically carried out. Flat planes filled with color. I wanted to see how I would do with the more creative, loose, undisciplined shape of the trees.

For the trees I mixed cobalt blue, yellow ochre and cadmium yellow in various proportions and added some indigo for the darkest areas. I wanted to get some detail in but too much because the trees are backdrop for the House and not the center of attention. I painted the trees in until I felt comfortable with them – their shape, color and detail – and stopped. I wasn’t sure if they were finished but felt it was a good place to stop until the House was finished. I could them work them further if necessary, based on how they looked against the House.

Then, I started on the House. I’ll discuss the House more fully next week – the choice of colors for different parts and how I decided to lay in the washes.


No comments:

Post a Comment