Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Work in Progress: Sandpipers, Update 3


Week 3 (4 March 2014)
This is the third installment of the Work in Progress for the Sandpipers. I made the decision to have the background in watercolor and the sandpipers, foam and seaweed in colored pencil. The background takes up quite a bit of area and would take a large amount of time to complete in colored pencil. It lends itself to watercolor. The sandpipers, foam and seaweed can be handled with either colored pencil or watercolor but, since I feel comfortable with colored pencil and can do a lot of detail work with them, I decided to use the pencils.
As you can see in this update, I’ve removed the liquid masking after adding a bit of detail to the water. I have pretty much finished two of the clumps of seaweed and put in a bit of the reflection on the clump on the right. The colors I used for the seaweed were light ochre (Faber Castell, FC), yellow ochre (Prismacolor, P), burnt ochre (FC), light umber (P), dark umber (P), cadmium yellow (FC), pumpkin orange (P), burnt ochre (P) and burnt sienna (FC).
I’ll probably stop on the seaweed at this point and start on the upper sandpiper, so that I don’t go back and forth on the paper any more than I have to and possibly smudge work that’s already done.

No comments:

Post a Comment